US BOARD CERTIFIED IN INTERNAL MEDICINE AND MEDICAL ONCOLOGY
• NAME: JIM JANINIS
• MARITAL STATUS: MARRIED WITH TWO CHILDREN
• BIRTHDATE: 11TH JULY 1957
• BIRTHPLACE: CHICAGO, ILLINOIS, USA
• SPECIALTY: MEDICAL ONCOLOGY
• MOBILE: 6974-122880
• Office address: Distomou 1, Maroussi, 15125, ATHENS, GREECE
• Office tel: 210-6157006, fax: 210-6105087
• CURRENT PRESENT POSITION: DIRECTOR DEPARTMENT OF MEDICAL ONCOLOGY, ATHENS MEDICAL CENTER, ATHENS, GREECE
• I completed Grammar school and High school in Athens Greece. I completed my graduate studies at University of Athens Medical School (1975 – 1981). I completed my residency in Internal Medicine (1982 – 1985) at Saint Francis Hospital in Chicago, and thereafter completed a fellowship in Medical Oncology and Hematology at Northwestern University in Chicago Illinois (1985 – 1987). I am board certified in Internal Medicine and Medical Oncology for both the State of Illinois (USA), and Greece and I have successfully passed the European Boards for Medical Oncology in 1992. In 1993 I completed successfully my postdoctoral thesis at the University of Athens with the subject: Immunohistochemical expression of Proliferating Cell Nuclear Antigen (PCNA/cyclin) and EGFR in Malignant and Benign Epithelial Ovarian Neoplasms and Correlation with prognosis. Since 1988 and until 2000 I practiced the specialty of Medical Oncology in the US as an attending physician and in Greece serving the National Health Care system. During the year 2000, I completed a postdoctoral training in the field of sarcomas at the London Bone and Soft Tissue Service of the Meyerstein Institute of Oncology Middlesex Hospital London – England (National Health Care System). In 2001 I was responsible for the restructure of the Oncology Unit of the 6th Oncology Hospital of IKA “George Gennimatas" (Athens) serving in the capacity of assistant Director. I currently am the Director of the Medical Oncology Unit, Athens Medical Center (Maroussi, Athens, Greece). I am the author of 26 papers published in international peer reviewed journals. I have authored and coauthored several book chapters. I am married and have two children.
• Amfithea Primary School: 1961-1967
• High School: Nea Smyrni Evangelical School: 1968-1975.
• Athens Medical School: 07/11/1975 - 31/10/1981.
DEGREES - MEDICAL LICENSURE
• Date of graduation: 31/10/1981, Degree: Very Good.
• Licence to practice medicine in Greece: 23/2/1982, licence number 175479
• Licence to practice medicine in USA from 1983 untill today. Licence number: 036-067029 for the state of ILLINOIS and INDIANA.
Licence to practice Internal medicine in Greece: since 25-7-88
Licence to practice Internal medicine abroad:
• ECFMG Certificate: 09/06/1982, No 337-795-.
• FLEX (Federal Licensure Examinations) (Indianapolis, Indiana - USA): 19839
• USA Board Certification in Internal Medicine): 11/11/1985, Νο 102367
• USA Board Certification in Medical Oncology): 10/11/1987
• European Boards for Medical Oncology: 8/11/1992
• Board Certification in Medical Oncology for Greece since 29-4-99
• Certificate of Full Registration as a Medical Practitioner of the General Medical Council in the United Kingdom (since December 1999)
Post Doctorate thesis:
Immunohistochemical expression of Proliferating Cell Nuclear Antigen (PCNA/cyclin) and EGFR in Malignant and Benign Epithelial Ovarian Neoplasms and Correlation with prognosis. 8/6/1993. DEGREE: EXCELLENT CLINICAL EXPERIENCE
• From 1/7/1982 until 30/6/11985: INTERNAL MEDICINE RESIDENSY at St. Francis Hospital of Evanston (Affiliate of Loyola University), Evanston, Illinois (Η.Π.Α.)
• From 1/7/1985 until 30/6/1986: MEDICAL ONCOLOGY FELLOWSHIP at St. Francis Hospital of Evanston, Evanston Illinois (USA)
• From 1/7/1986 until 30/6/1987: MEDICAL ONCOLOGY FELLOWSHIP at Northwestern University - Chicago Illinois (USA)
• From 1/7/1987 until 31/6/1988: MEDICAL ONCOLOGY FELLOWSHIP at Francis Hospital of Evanston, Evanston Illinois (USA) / Northwestern University - Chicago Illinois (USA)
• Medical Attending from 1/7/1988 until 30/11/1988 at Hinsdale Hospital Hinsdale Illinois (USA). Department of Medical oncology and Hematology
• Consultant in Medical Oncology from 7/7/1989 until 24/6/1997 at Saint Anargyri Cancer Center (Hellenic NHS), 2nd Dptm of Medical Oncology
• Consultant in Medical Oncology from 25/6/1997 until 29/10/2002 at Saint Anargyri Cancer Center (NHS) 3rd Dptm of Medical Oncology
• From 26/9/97 until 24/9/99 Scientific Director of the 3rd Dept of Medical Oncology Saint Anargyri Cancer Center.
• From 1/3/00 until 1/11/00: Medical Specialist at the London Bone and Soft Tissue Service of the Meyerstein Institute of Oncology Middlesex Hospital London – England (National Health Care System)
• From 01/06/00 until 15/09/00: Chase Farm and High Barnet Hospital (National Health Care System
• From 05-06-2001 until 05-06-2003: scientific supervisor for the creation of a new medical oncology department at the 6th IKA Oncolgy Center in Athens
• On the 29th of October 2002 I resigned from the Greek NHS
• Since the October 30th 2002: Assistant Director of the 6th Oncology Hospital of IKA " George Gennimatas"
• Current active position: Director, Department of Medical Oncology, Athens Medical Center, Maroussi, Athens, Greece.
MEDICAL PUBLICATIONS IN INTERNATIONAL CITATED JOURNALS
1. Surgical resection of esthesioneuroblastoma metastasis to the chest wall. Dahabreh I., Janinis D., et al. Journal of Thoracic Oncology, 2007, vol 2, No 1, 93-95
2. Hemolytic uremic syndrome following the infusion of oxaliplatin: case report. Dahabreh I, Tsoutsos G, Tseligas D, Janinis D. BMC Clin Pharmacol. 2006 Sep 12;6:5.
3. Papakostas P, Tsavdaridis D, Kosmidis P, Kalofonos HP, Sakantamis A, Janinis D, Skarlos D, Bafaloukos D, Bamias A, Xiros N, Fountzilas G. Combination docetaxel (Taxotere), fluorouracil, and leucovorin (TFL), as first-line chemotherapy in advanced gastric cancer: a Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group phase II study. Gastric Cancer. 2006;9(1):26-31.
4. Janinis J, Stathopoulos GP, Nikolaidis P, Kalofonos HP, Kalogera-Fountzila A, Samantas E, Aravantinos G, Anagnostopoulos A, Tolis C, Makatsoris T, Rigatos SK, Bafaloukos D, Dimopoulos MA, Daniilidis J, Fountzilas G. Pegylated liposomal doxorubicin hydrochloride (PLD) and paclitaxel in recurrent or metastatic head and neck carcinoma: a phase I/II study conducted by the Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group (HeCOG). Anticancer Drugs. 2004 Jun;15(5):479-87.
5. Razis E, Kosmidis P, Aravantinos G, Bakoyiannis C, Janinis J, Timotheadou H, Christodoulou C, Fountzilas G. Second line chemotherapy with 5 fluorouracil and vinorelbine in anthracycline and taxane pretreated patients with metastatic breast cancer. Cancer Invest. 2004;22(1) :10-5.
6. Kalofonos HP, Skarlos D, Bafaloukos D, Papakostas P, Bamias A, Janinis J, Timotheadou E, Kouvatseas G, Stavropoulos M, Economopulos T, Fountzilas G. A phase II study with CPT-11 plus leucovorin and bolus IV 5-fluorouracil in patients with advanced colorectal carcinoma.Cancer Invest.2003;21(6):855-62.
7. Bamias A, Aravantinos G, Kalofonos C, Timotheadou N, Siafaka V, Vlahou I, Janinis D, Pectasides D, Pavlidis N, Fountzilas G; Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group. Prevention of anemia in patients with solid tumors receiving platinum-based chemotherapy by recombinant human Erythropoietin (rHuEpo): a prospective, open label, randomized trial by the Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group. Oncology. 2003;64(2):102-10.
8. Janinis J, Patriki M, Vini L, Aravantinos G, Whelan JS. The pharmacological treatment of aggressive fibromatosis: a systematic review. Ann Oncol. 2003 Feb;14(2):181-90.
9. Treatment of pancreatic cancer with a combination of irinotecan (CPT-11) and gemcitabine: a multicenter phase II study by the Greek Cooperative Group for Pancreatic Cancer. Stathopoulos GP,Rigatos SK,Dimopoulos MA,Giannakakis T,Foutzilas G, Kouroussis C,Janninis D,Aravantinos G,Androulakis N,Agelaki S,Stathopoulos JG,Georgoulias V;Greek Cooperative Group for Pancreatic Cancer. Ann Oncol. 2003 Mar;14(3) :388-94.
10. Janinis J, McTiernan A, Driver D, Mitchell C, Cassoni AM, Pringle J, Kilby A, Whelan JS; . A pilot study of short-course intensive multiagent chemotherapy in metastatic and axial skeletal osteosarcoma. Ann Oncol. 2002 Dec;13(12):1935-44.
11. Galani E, Sgouros J, Petropoulou C, Janinis J, Aravantinos G, Dionysiou-Asteriou D, Skarlos D, Gonos E. Correlation of MDR-1, nm23-H1 and H Sema E gene expression with histopathological findings and clinical outcome in ovarian and breast cancer patients. Anticancer Res. 2002 Jul-Aug;22(4):2275-80.
12. Whelan JS, Burcombe RJ, Janinis J, Baldelli AM, Cassoni AM. A systematic review of the role of pulmonary irradiation in the management of primary bone tumours. Ann Oncol. 2002 Jan;13(1):23-30.
13. Janinis J, Papadakou M, Panagos G, Panousaki A, Georgoulias V, Hatzidaki D, Lefantzis D, Dokianakis G. Sequential chemoradiotherapy with docetaxel, cisplatin, and 5-fluorouracil in patients with locally advanced head and neck cancer. Am J Clin Oncol. 2001 Jun;24(3 :227-31.
14. Janinis J, Efstathiou E, Panopoulos C, Samantas E, Aravantinos G, Christodoulou C, Skarlos D. Phase II study of temozolomide in patients with relapsing high grade glioma and poor performance status. Med Oncol. 2000 May;17(2):106-10.
15. Janinis J, Giannakakis T, Athanasiades A, Fountzilas G, Bafaloukos D, Kosmidis P, Nikolaides K, Pavlidis N, Skarlos D. A randomized open-label parallel-group study comparing ondansetron with ondansetron plus dexamethasone in patients with metastatic breast cancer receiving high-dose epirubicin. A Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group study. Tumori. 2000 Jan-Feb;86(1):37-41.
16. Janinis J, Papadakou M, Xidakis E, Boukis H, Poulis A, Panagos G, Lefantzis D.Combination chemotherapy with docetaxel, cisplatin, and 5-fluorouracil in previously treated patients with advanced/ recurrent head and neck cancer: a phase II feasibility study. Am J Clin Oncol. 2000;23(2):128-31.
17. Janinis J, Papakostas P, Samelis G, Skarlos D, Papagianopoulos P, Fountzilas G. Second-line chemotherapy with weekly oxaliplatin and high-dose 5-fluorouracil with folinic acid in metastatic colorectal carcinoma: a Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group (HeCOG) phase II feasibility study. Ann Oncol. 2000 Feb;11(2) :163-7.
18. Janinis J, Panagos G.Docetaxel, cisplatin, fluorouracil, and leucovorin in locally advanced head and neck cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2000 Mar;18(6):1393-5.
19. Factors that influence the antiemetic activity of metoclopramide to cisplatin based chemotherapy. Tsavaris N,Mylonakis N, Bacoyiannis C,Kosmas C,Kalergis G,Iakovidis V,Tzaninis D,Kosmidis P. Oncol Rep. 1998 Sep-Oct;5(5):1147-55.
20. Nakopoulou L, Janinis J, Giannopoulou I, Lazaris AC, Koureas A, Zacharoulis D. Immunohistochemical expression of p53 protein and proliferating cell nuclear antigen in hepatocellular carcinoma. Pathol Res Pract. 1995 Dec;191(12):1208-13.
21. Nakopoulou L, Stefanaki K, Janinis J, Mastrominas M.Immunohistochemical expression of placental alkaline phosphatase and vimentin in epithelial ovarian neoplasms. Acta Oncol. 1995;34(4):511-5.
22. Janinis J, Nakopoulou L, Panagos G, Davaris P. Immunohistochemical expression of EGF-R in malignant surface epithelial ovarian neoplasms (SEON). Eur J Gynaecol Oncol. 1994;15(1):19-23.
23. Janinis J, Panagos G, Panousaki A, Skarlos D, Athanasiou E, Karpasitis N, Pirounaki M. Stevens-Johnson syndrome and epidermal necrolysis after administration of sodium phenytoin with cranial irradiation. Eur J Cancer. 1993;29A(3):478-9.
24. Nakopoulou L, Janinis J, Panagos G, Comin G, Davaris P. The immunohistochemical expression of proliferating cell nuclear antigen (PCNA/cyclin) in malignant and benign epithelial ovarian neoplasms and correlation with prognosis. Eur J Cancer. 1993;29A(11) :1599-601.
25. Eriksen B, Janinis J, Variakojis D, Winter J, Russel E, Marder R, DalCanto MC. Primary histiocytosis X of the parieto-occipital lobe. Hum Pathol. 1988 May;19 (5:611-4.
26. Pollak AN, Janinis J, Green D. Successful intravenous immune globulin therapy for human immunodeficiency virus-associated thrombocytopenia. Arch Intern Med. 1988 Mar;148(3):695-7.